So I’m back in the 80s again (did I ever leave?!) with another one of my favourite movies ever.
Firstly I love Dolly, I have posted about this before! She’s a legend, a pioneer, a living doll and an inspiration.
Here are a few wee Whorehouse facts for you courtesy of imdb:
- It was the highest grossing live action musical film of the 1980s
- The movie was nominated for a Golden Globe and Dolly herself for Best Actress in a Comedy Film
- Most of the songs from the original Broadway show unchanged in the movie with the addition of two songs written by Dolly – “Sneakin’ Around” and a shortened version of her 1973 hit “I Will Always Love You.”
- Dolly also write several new songs for the film which were not used in the end.
- The film was censored in some US states due to the word “Whorehouse” in the title.
- Because of the film’s provocative title the movie was briefly seized by Slough Police in the UK during the 1980s UK video nasty craze after they believed it to be a sex film.
- The Chicken Ranch house went on to be the Firefly residence in House of 1000 Corpses.
This is a wee clip of my favourite song from the film. In particular I like the way he turns into his stetson and you should watch out for Dom Deluise‘s amazing jacket.